So, I have been thinking that I would do some posts on some of "My Favorite Things," Christmas style. I love Christmas! I love the lights. I love the garlands and berries. I love the candles. I love having my home decorated and cozy feeling. These really are some of my favorite things.
Tonight, after a conversation with our eldest, I was reminded that maybe I'm not emphasizing the true meaning of Christmas as much as I should be. Tonight we had an emotional and traumatic discussion about the existence of Jolly Old St. Nick, which I thought we had already settled. This last summer Ryan came home from a friends super grumpy. When I asked him what was wrong he started crying and yelling that I was a liar and had lied to him his whole life. I asked what I had lied to him about. His response, "there is no Santa and you told me there was. There is no Santa or an Easter Bunny." Yikes. He got me. I had lied about that. So I told him he had to believe to recieve. Thats what my mom always told me. Apparently he thought that meant there was a Santa and I thought he now KNEW. So when I said something tonight about playing along for Evan and Chloe, the drama ensued. I just thought he had been playing along for the little kids. He was upset and said, "I just need a final answer, yes or no." So I told him no and he was upset. He actually tried to get out the shredder to shred his letter to Santa. I feel bad he had such a sense of betrayal.
It turned into a discussion of the true meaning of Christmas and the gift that our Heavenly Father sent us, His Son. I am so greatful for this gift we have been given. It was a Christmas during my freshman year at BYU, while reading the nativity as a family, that I truly gained my testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the gospel. This has made Christmas even more special to me. It is when I became a true believer. I hope Ryan learns that even though there is no Santa that the true meaning of Christmas is the real reason to BELIEVE.
Memories Are The True Treasures
10 years ago
2 comments:
I loved the video, thanks for that. I think we all forget what Christmas is all about as we get are kids ready for Santa. Sorry about Ryan.
Really great post. Poor Ryan! I hate that there are blabber mouth kids who ruin it for the kids who still believe. I had a boy in the Primary class I substituted a couple weeks ago blab to everyone that Santa is fake. Not the sort of discussion you hope for. . .and I don't think my attempts to smooth it over saying that Santa is real, but the tooth fairy isn't really helped. Aaahhh, waiting for calls from disgruntled parents!
Post a Comment